Family of Writers
Since 1989, I've been teaching evening writing classes in school cafeterias for students and their parents. Family of Writers is the best thing I've ever done as a teacher. (And teachers, don't tell anyone, but it's also the easiest things I've ever done as a teacher!)
It's all around writing joy, culminating in an anthology publication party complete with tasty treats. (Mary Poppins was right. Sugar helps.)
If you dream of confident kids who love writing, there is nothing more powerful than families huddled close, putting pen to paper, and sharing stories.
If you'd like to invite me to teach Family of Writers at your school, here's what I teach during four 90-minute classes:
- Writing recipes that help students and parents experience writing as a creative, joyous, and insightful journey.
- The elements of writing well.
- How to recognize what writers already do well.
- How to share writing aloud, and why it's important.
- How to learn from every writer in the room.
- How to read like a writer.
- How parents can give writing response without creating power struggles and emotional meltdowns.
- How to begin a process of effective revision and editing.
Who? When? Where?
Currently, all LIVE Family of Writers classes occur in the greater Los Angeles area, but I dream of bringing Family of Writers to every state in the U.S.
If YOU would like to teach Family of Writers at your school, I'm working on materials to make that possible.
Five Things I Learned From Family of Writers
Our Motto: Arrive tired. Leave inspired.