Since 1989, I've been teaching evening writing classes in school cafeterias for students and their parents. Overwhelmingly, I hear:
This is the best writing class I've ever taken.
Can I let you in on a little secret? Family of Writers is also the easiest thing I've ever done as a teacher. Not kidding. I don't grade a thing. It's all around writing joy, culminating in an anthology publication party complete with tasty treats. Mary Poppins was right. Sugar helps.
If you dream of confident students who love writing, there is nothing more powerful than families huddled close, putting pen to paper, and sharing stories. Sharing stories connects your learning community so your job is easier. Increased support and better writing? That's a win-win!
If you'd like to invite me to teach Family of Writers at your school, here's what I teach during four 90-minute classes:
- Writing recipes that help students and parents (and teachers if they dare to come!) experience writing as a creative, joyous, and insightful journey.
- The elements of writing well.
- How to recognize what writers already do well.
- How to share writing aloud, and why it's important.
- How to learn from every writer in the room.
- How to read like a writer.
- How parents can give writing response without creating power struggles and emotional meltdowns.
- How to begin a process of effective revision and editing.
Who? When? where?
Currently, LIVE Family of Writers classes are offered to students attending schools in and around Los Angeles County, but my dream is to bring Family of Writers to every state in the U.S.
Registration is closed for the 2017-2018 academic year. However, it's not too early to begin planning for 2018-2019.
If YOU would like to teach Family of Writers at your school, I'm working on materials to make that possible. SUBSCRIBE to my monthly newsletter to keep up to date on launch dates and details.